Director of Finance and Administration
All Souls Church on the Upper East Side of New York City is seeking a senior person with a strong accounting background who can successfully manage the finances of this 1200-member church with a $2.9 million budget; and be able to manage the facilities and custodian staff to ensure smooth building operations. This person will also be responsible for Human Resources and Security all while reporting to the Senior Minister.
We are looking for a positive, motivating manager to manage a team of about 14 people including two part time bookkeepers, a facilities manager with 11 custodians; a human resource manager and security. This person much be comfortable preparing and presenting to the Board of Trustees and the Congregation. Accurate and meaningful financial numbers must be prepared for the Finance Committee and the Board of Trustees on a monthly basis. This person must be able to work with little or no direction.
Teamwork with the other managers is an important component of the responsibilities.
Internal Operations Management
- Provide oversight for all financial operations, including accounting, budgeting, development, investment management, audit, financial reporting and control, cash flow management, forecasting, short- and long-term financial planning, and risk management
- Oversee the assembly of the annual operating budget for review by the Senior Minister, the Finance Committee, and the Board; monitor budget vs. actual performance and enforce budgetary controls; in support of senior managers, provide regular budget reporting in simple and accurate terms and formats; advise on expenditures and make appropriate revisions to the budget
Building Operations Management
- Manage all aspects of maintaining the building on a daily, weekly and annual basis
- Manage and provide ideas through a facilities manager
- Plan for long term facilities requirements and budget for future building needs
- Ensure all New York City inspections are managed, and approvals are earned
- Oversee all audio visual, and other technology needs
- Set up an effective and meaningful on-boarding process for new hires
- Ensure the entire staff is motivated to do the best job they can and that they receive an annual performance review from their supervisor
- Oversee and analyze all Church benefits, insurance, pension, and 401K plans; obtain bids, conduct analyses, and make recommendations to the Senior Minister to ensure that the Church’s benefits are competitive and affordable, supporting the organization’s desire to attract and retain high-caliber staff.
- Minimum 10 years of strategic, senior-level operations experience
- Excellent leadership and management skills, and a successful track record of supervising and collaborating with staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive, yet ensures accountability
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with a strong leader and a committed staff; sound judgment and a sense of balance to know when to move with the tide and when to push back
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills with the ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels
- Strong experience with financial forecasting, budgeting, and modeling; experience with or demonstrated facility in learning and optimizing financial and fundraising systems; proficiency with Excel
- Management experience with religious or 501(c)3 nonprofits a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA a plus
Application: No phone calls, please. Interested applicants must submit a thoughtful cover letter describing your background and related experience, along with a resume to:
Bill Bechman, Deacon
Subject line: Director of Finance and Administration
Application Deadline: The position is available on approximately December 1, 2019. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information.
Hours and Compensation: Full-time exempt professional. Some early morning and late night meetings. Availability on some Sundays will be important.
Compensation will be between $85 – $100K, commensurate with experience. Very generous benefits include 4 weeks of vacation, 4 personal days, 10 sick days, 12 paid holidays, as well as medical, dental and long-term disability insurance. After one-year of employment, 10% pension of gross salary contributed by All Souls to pension fund with TIAA-CREF.
All Souls is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply. We are a progressive church that promotes an equal and inclusive workplace. This is a full-time position with benefits.