- Come, come, whoever you are…wanderer, worshiper…
These words from a familiar Unitarian Universalist hymn are at the heart of our deeply welcoming faith. Bound not by creed but by our shared commitments to love and justice, All Souls NYC, a Unitarian Universalist congregation on the Upper East Side of Manhattan – and in our new, virtual campus! – is a community of Open Hearts and Open Minds. From our Sunday services filled with world-class music and gifted speakers, our wide variety of spiritual and educational programs for all ages, to our community service projects…we believe you’ll find a place and a purpose with us at All Souls.
As a Unitarian Universalist congregation, All Souls NYC is part of the Unitarian Universalist Association
As such, we covenant to affirm and promote:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence, of which we are a part.
The living tradition we share draws from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of people which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life; • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
- Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and enables our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.
We are a Welcoming Congregation!
For over 30 years, All Souls NYC has held the formal designation of “Welcoming Congregation,” having committed ourselves to the work of being a safe and supportive community for all our LGBQIA+ and trans beloveds. No matter who you love, you are welcome at All Souls!
Possibility. Connection. Transformation.
As a congregation, we are guided by our desire to live with gratitude, and in the blessings of community. We believe that we come from the same Source, we are on a journey together, and we are headed to a common Destination. As such, it is our hope and intention to love and serve each other and the world to the very best of our ability along the way.